Generic Name : bisoprolol fumarate
Brand Name: Zebeta
Pregnancy Category C
Dosage & Route
- PO Angina pectoris; HTN 2.5-10 mg/day. Max: 20 mg/day. Heart failure Initial: 1.25 mg once daily, may increase gradually. Max: 10 mg/day.
- Bisoprolol selectively and competitively blocks β-1 receptors but has little or no effect on β-2 receptors except at high doses.
- Management of hypertension, used alone or with other antihypertensives
- Giddiness, headache, fatigue, bradycardia. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, stomach discomfort, mild ocular stinging, photophobia, keratitis, decreased sexual ability. GI disturbances, dyspnoea, cold extremities, insomnia, hallucination, drowsiness and mood alterations.
- Potentially Fatal: AV block, bradycardia. Rare but may occur in patients with preexisting cardiac disease. Includes severe bronchospasm, hypoglycaemia, hypotension, orthostatic hypotension, bradyarrhythmias. ‘Rebound phenomenon’ leading to unstable angina or MI on sudden withdrawal.
- Low cardiac output and uncompensated cardiac failure; sinus bradycardia, 1st ° heart block, cardiogenic shock, bronchospasm; severe hemorrhage.
CLINICAL ALERT! Name confusion has occurred between Zebeta (bisoprolol) and DiaBeta (glyburide); use caution.
- History: Sinus bradycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiogenic shock, CHF, renal failure, diabetes or thyrotoxicosis, pregnancy, lactation
- Physical: Baseline weight, skin condition, neurologic status, P, BP, ECG, R, LFTs, renal function tests, blood and urine glucose
- WARNING: Do not discontinue drug abruptly after long-term therapy (hypersensitivity to catecholamines may have developed, causing exacerbation of angina, MI, and ventricular arrhythmias). Taper drug gradually over 2 wk with monitoring.
- Consult with physician about withdrawing drug if patient is to undergo surgery (withdrawal is controversial).
- Do not stop taking this drug unless instructed to do so by a health care provider.
- Avoid over-the-counter medications.
- Avoid driving or dangerous activities if dizziness, weakness occur.
- You may experience these side effects: Dizziness, light-headedness, loss of appetite, nightmares, depression, sexual impotence.
- Report difficulty breathing, night cough, swelling of extremities, slow pulse, confusion, depression, rash, fever, sore throat.