Generic Name : loratadine
Brand Name: Alavert, Alavert Childrens, Claritin, Claritin Hives Relief, Claritin Reditabs, Claritin 24-Hour Allergy, Dimetapp Children’s ND Non-Drowsy Allergy, Tavist ND, Triaminic Allerchews
Classification: Antihistamine (nonsedating type)
Pregnancy Category B
Dosage & Route
Available forms : Tablets—10 mg; syrup—5 mg/5 mL; rapidly disintegrating tablets (Reditabs)—10 mg; orally disintegrating tablets—10 mg
Dosages : Place rapid dissolving tablets on tongue. Swallow with or without water.
ADULTS AND PATIENTS > 6 YR
- 10 mg daily PO on an empty stomach.
PEDIATRIC PATIENTS 2–5 YR
- 5 mg PO daily (syrup).
GERIATRIC PATIENTS OR PATIENTS WITH RENAL OR HEPATIC IMPAIRMENT
- 10 mg PO every other day.
- Loratadine is a non-sedating antihistamine. It works by selectively binding to peripheral histamine H1 -receptors on effector cells.
- Symptomatic relief of perennial and seasonal allergic rhinitis, vasomotor rhinitis, allergic conjunctivitis, and mild, uncomplicated urticaria and angioedema
- Treatment of rhinitis and chronic urticaria in children > 2 yr
- Fatigue, giddiness, dizziness, dry mouth, headache, nausea, somnolence.
- Pregnancy, lactation, children <2 yr.
- History: Allergy to any antihistamines; narrow-angle glaucoma, stenosing peptic ulcer, symptomatic prostatic hypertrophy, asthma, bladder neck obstruction, pyloroduodenal obstruction; lactation, pregnancy
- Physical: Skin color, lesions, texture; orientation, reflexes, affect; vision examinations; R, adventitious sounds; prostate palpation; serum transaminase levels
- Administer without regard to meals.
- If using rapid or orally dissolving tablets, place on tongue, tablet will dissolve within seconds, swallow with or without water.
- Avoid the use of alcohol; serious sedation could occur.
- You may experienc these side effects: Dizziness, sedation, drowsiness (use caution if driving or performing tasks that require alertness); headache; thickening of bronchial secretions, dryness of nasal mucosa (use a humidifier).
- Report difficulty breathing, hallucinations, tremors, loss of coordination, irregular heartbeat.