To assist with or to apply a surgical dressing
- Sterile dressing container with:
- 1 Tissue Forceps
- 1 Round Nose Forceps
- 1 Mayo Scissors
- Sterile Towel
- Pick-up forceps in solution
- Solution (iodine, zephiran, alcohol 70%, Benzene or other, etc.)
- Bed Screen p.r.n
- Sterile sponge 4 x 4
- Sterile cotton balls
- Sterile top dressing
- Kidney basin
- Adhesive tape
- Bandage scissors
- Bed protector p.r.n
- Paper bag
- Explain procedure to patient. Screen the bed and make patient comfortable.
- Expose area to be dressed. Protect beddings p.r.n.
- Remove adhesive and outer dressings and discard in paper bag or kidney basin lined with paper.
- Set sterile field, using pick-up forceps to remove sterile articles from the containers:
- Place towel open to two thickness, on bed near, dressing or on patient’s bedside table.
- Put out enough dressings and cotton balls on sterile towel. (Use judgment in setting out the supplies.)
- Place thumb forceps and hemostat so that handles are over the edge of the towel.
- Remove inner dressings with forceps.
- Using the hemostat, cleanse area with prescribed solution.
- Pick-up sponge with hemostat pour solution over it.
- Clean incision line first. Discard sponge. Repeat until clean than clean area around wound.
- Apply medicine ordered.
- Apply dressings and secure with tape.
- Make patient comfortable and take equipment away.